Philipp Franz von Siebold first came to Japan with the Dutch East India Company in 1823 as a doctor. Throughout his time in Nagasaki, he introduced Western medicine to Japanese doctors and contributed greatly to research in medicine and botany. He was barred from Japan after it was found that he was smuggling maps to Europe but returned 30 years later to reunite with his Japanese family and students. In the years he spent away, he wrote notable books including Nippon (1832-1851), and Flora Japonica (1835-1844) which were met with great interest and success in the West.
This museum, modelled after his former residence in Leiden, the Netherlands and located near the school he established in Nagasaki, consists of three floors, dedicated to telling the life story and contributions of the man.
- Nagasaki City
Elementary & Junior High School Students: ￥50
Updated January 2017
|Access information||7 min walk from Shin-nakagawa Streetcar stop|
|Open hours||9:00 - 17:00|
|Days Closed||Every Monday
29 Dec - 1 Jan
- NEARBY ATTRACTIONS
- 1Siebold Memorial Museum
- 2Nagasaki "Otakusa" Hydrangea Festival
- 3Shindenan Autumn Public Viewing
- 4Shindenan Spring Public Viewing
- 7Memorials to Saint Kolbe Hongochi Church...
- 8Takengei (Wakamiya Inari Shrine's Autumn...
- 9Suwa Shrine
- 11Teramachi-dori (Temple Street)
- 12Nagasaki Embroidery
- 13Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture
- 14The Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture
- 15The Great Ghibli Exhibition - From Nausi...
- 16Santo Domingo Church Museum
- 17New Year's Eve along Temple Street in Na...
- 20Nakashima River Summer Festival
- 21Megane-bashi (Spectacles Bridge)
- 22Megane-bashi (Spectacles Bridge)
- 23HOTEL PASSAGE KINKAI
- 24DiGJAPAN App
- 25Fujiwara Ryokan
- 26NAGASAKI NISSHOKAN
- 27HOTEL NAGASAKI
- 28NISSHOKAN BETTEI KOUYOUTEI
- 29Hotel Arc inn Tennen
- 30NISSHOKAN SHINKAN BAISHOKAKU
- 31Hotel Sainthill Nagasaki
- 32Fujiwara Ryokan
- 33Yatarou / Yatarou Minamikan
- 34Business Royal hotel
- 36Nakamachi Church
- 37Nagasaki Hotele Ihokan
- 39HOTEL WINGPORT NAGASAKI
- 40Nagasaki Orion Hotel
- 41NAGASAKI I・K HOTEL
- 42NAGASAKI I.K HOTEL
- 43Shianbashi & Doza
- 44Site of the Martyrdom of the 26 Saints o...
- 47HOTEL CUORE NAGASAKI EKIMAE
- 48HOTEL CUORE NAGASAKIEKIMAE
- 49Ken-ei Bus Terminal
- 50HOTEL IKEDA
- 51Richmond Hotel
- 52HOTEL NEW NAGASAKI
- 53HOTEL NEW NAGASAKI
- 54VICTORIA INN NAGASAKI
- 55Victoria Inn Nagasaki
- 56Chisun Grand Nagasaki
- 57Nagasaki Tourist Information Center
- 58Maruyama Hana Festival (Maruyama Women's...
- 59The Spirit Boat Procession / Shourounagashi
- 60Nagasaki Hotel Marine World
- 61Nagasaki Kunchi / Okunchi
- 62CAPSULE IN KOYOKAN
- 63APA HOTEL Nagasaki-Ekiminami
- 64 Nagasaki Lantern Festival
- 65HOTEL BELLEVIEW NAGASAKI-DEJIMA
- 66Hotel JALCity Nagasaki
- 67Shinchi Chinatown
- 68Nagasaki Shinchi Chinatown
- 69The Hotel Nagasaki BW Premier Collection
- 70BEST WESTERN PREMIER hotel Nagasaki
- 71Nagasaki Bus Terminal Hotel
- 72Nagasaki Bus Terminal Hotel
- 73Dejima (Desima, Deshima) - Site of the F...
- 74nagasaki shinchi terminal
- 76Mid-Autumn Moon Festival
- 77Nagasaki Dejima Wharf
- 78Doragon Promenade
- 79Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum
- 80Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum
- 82HOTEL NEW TANDA
- 84Nagasaki Port and Nagasaki Seaside Park ...
- 85Nagasaki Tall Ships Festival
- 86NAGASAKI HOTEL MONTEREY
- 87Nagasaki Peiron Championship & Port Fest...
- 88Confucian Shrine & Historical Museum of ...
- 90ANA CROWNE PLAZA NAGASAKI GLOVERHILL
- 91ANA CROWNEPLAZA NAGASAKI GLOVERHILL
- 92Gunkanjima Digital Museum
- 93Nagasaki Glass
- 94Nagasaki National Peace Memorial Hall fo...
- 95Urakami Cathedral
- 96Oura Cathedral
- 97Nagasaki International Cruise Ship Terminal
- 98HOTEL SAINT PAUL NAGASAKI
- 99The Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum
- 100Nagasaki Seiyokan