Philipp Franz von Siebold first came to Japan with the Dutch East India Company in 1823 as a doctor. Throughout his time in Nagasaki, he introduced Western medicine to Japanese doctors and contributed greatly to research in medicine and botany. He was barred from Japan after it was found that he was smuggling maps to Europe but returned 30 years later to reunite with his Japanese family and students. In the years he spent away, he wrote notable books including Nippon (1832-1851), and Flora Japonica (1835-1844) which were met with great interest and success in the West.
This museum, modelled after his former residence in Leiden, the Netherlands and located near the school he established in Nagasaki, consists of three floors, dedicated to telling the life story and contributions of the man.
- Nagasaki City
Elementary & Junior High School Students: ￥50
Updated January 2017
|Access information||7 min walk from Shin-nakagawa Streetcar stop|
|Open hours||9:00 - 17:00|
|Days Closed||Every Monday
29 Dec - 1 Jan
- NEARBY ATTRACTIONS
- 1Siebold Memorial Museum
- 2Nagasaki "Otakusa" Hydrangea Festival
- 3Shindenan Autumn Public Viewing
- 4Shindenan Spring Public Viewing
- 7Memorials to Saint Kolbe Hongochi Church...
- 8Takengei (Wakamiya Inari Shrine's Autumn...
- 9Suwa Shrine
- 11Teramachi-dori (Temple Street)
- 12Nagasaki Embroidery
- 13Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture
- 14The Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture
- 15Santo Domingo Church Museum
- 16New Year's Eve along Temple Street in Na...
- 19Nakashima River Summer Festival
- 20Megane-bashi (Spectacles Bridge)
- 21Megane-bashi (Spectacles Bridge)
- 22HOTEL PASSAGE KINKAI
- 23DiGJAPAN App
- 24Fujiwara Ryokan
- 25NAGASAKI NISSHOKAN
- 26HOTEL NAGASAKI
- 27NISSHOKAN BETTEI KOUYOUTEI
- 28Hotel Arc inn Tennen
- 29NISSHOKAN SHINKAN BAISHOKAKU
- 30Hotel Sainthill Nagasaki
- 31Fujiwara Ryokan
- 32Yatarou / Yatarou Minamikan
- 33Business Royal hotel
- 35Nakamachi Church
- 36Nagasaki Hotele Ihokan
- 38HOTEL WINGPORT NAGASAKI
- 39Nagasaki Orion Hotel
- 40NAGASAKI I・K HOTEL
- 41NAGASAKI I.K HOTEL
- 42Shianbashi & Doza
- 43Site of the Martyrdom of the 26 Saints o...
- 46HOTEL CUORE NAGASAKI EKIMAE
- 47HOTEL CUORE NAGASAKIEKIMAE
- 48Ken-ei Bus Terminal
- 49HOTEL IKEDA
- 50Richmond Hotel
- 51HOTEL NEW NAGASAKI
- 52HOTEL NEW NAGASAKI
- 53VICTORIA INN NAGASAKI
- 54Victoria Inn Nagasaki
- 55Chisun Grand Nagasaki
- 56Nagasaki Tourist Information Center
- 57Maruyama Hana Festival (Maruyama Women's...
- 58The Spirit Boat Procession / Shourounagashi
- 59Nagasaki Hotel Marine World
- 60Nagasaki Kunchi / Okunchi
- 61CAPSULE IN KOYOKAN
- 62APA HOTEL Nagasaki-Ekiminami
- 63 Nagasaki Lantern Festival
- 64HOTEL BELLEVIEW NAGASAKI-DEJIMA
- 65Hotel JALCity Nagasaki
- 66Shinchi Chinatown
- 67Nagasaki Shinchi Chinatown
- 68The Hotel Nagasaki BW Premier Collection
- 69BEST WESTERN PREMIER hotel Nagasaki
- 70Nagasaki Bus Terminal Hotel
- 71Nagasaki Bus Terminal Hotel
- 72Internship Opportunity
- 73Dejima (Desima, Deshima) - Site of the F...
- 74nagasaki shinchi terminal
- 76Mid-Autumn Moon Festival
- 77Nagasaki Dejima Wharf
- 78Doragon Promenade
- 79Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum
- 80Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum
- 81Sanno Shrine (One-Legged Torii Arch & At...
- 83HOTEL NEW TANDA
- 85Nagasaki Port and Nagasaki Seaside Park ...
- 86Nagasaki Tall Ships Festival
- 87NAGASAKI HOTEL MONTEREY
- 88Nagasaki Peiron Championship & Port Fest...
- 89Confucian Shrine & Historical Museum of ...
- 91ANA CROWNE PLAZA NAGASAKI GLOVERHILL
- 92ANA CROWNEPLAZA NAGASAKI GLOVERHILL
- 93Gunkanjima Digital Museum
- 94Nagasaki Glass
- 95Nagasaki National Peace Memorial Hall fo...
- 96Urakami Cathedral
- 97Oura Cathedral
- 98Nagasaki International Cruise Ship Terminal
- 99HOTEL SAINT PAUL NAGASAKI
- 100The Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum