Ayugaeri Waterfall is a popular tourist location inside the Unzen-Amakusa National Park. The waterfall gets its name from the local fish Ayu, that have migrated to the nearby the basin for decades.
Whether you want to take a dip in the basin, or slide down the smooth rock slab at the top, you’re sure to find respite from the summer heat. Thanks to calm waters, many families flock to the area and children are more than welcome.
Above the waterfall there is a teahouse “Taki no Chaya” where you can enjoy the city’s local specialty nagashi-soumen (soumen noodles caught in flowing noodles). Cooked in the cool waters from surrounding currents, they make for a satisfying feed after a swim.
- Shimabara Peninsula (Unzen City & Shimabara City & Obama Town & Minami-Shimabara City)
- NEARBY ATTRACTIONS
- 1Ayugaeri Waterfall
- 2“Let’s play outside!” Festival
- 3Tawaraishi Viewpoint
- 4To No Sumi Waterfall
- 5To No Sumi Waterfall Park Festival
- 6Summer Festival in Arie
- 7Yumoto Hotel since 1695
- 8Ni no Kura ― Urakawa Brewery
- 9San no Kura Kiyoya － Soy Sauce and Miso...
- 10Seiunso Resort Hotel & Spa
- 11Ichi no Kura － Yoshida Sake Brewery
- 12Yon no Kura Yamakome – Soy Sauce and Mis...
- 13Unzen Church
- 14RYOTEI HANZUIRYO
- 15Yumei Hotel
- 16Unzen Miyazaki Ryokan
- 17UNZEN KANKO HOTEL
- 18Unzen Fukudaya
- 19Mt.Unzen Visitor Center
- 20Kyushu Hotel