The area of Minami Arima is poor in flat land, therefore rock walls and paddy fields have been constructed in order to use the narrow valley efficiently. In 1991 these terraced rice fields in the Shirakino-Tanimizu area were nominated by the Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries as one of the 100 best terraced rice fields in Japan and in 1996 they have been awarded by the same Minister a prize at the 5th competition for Japanese beautiful villages.
- Shimabara Peninsula (Unzen City & Shimabara City & Obama Town & Minami-Shimabara City)
- NEARBY ATTRACTIONS
- 1Shirakino-Tanimizu Rice Terraced Fields
- 2Seibo Kitamura Memorial Hall
- 3Arima Christian Heritage Museum
- 4Experience MINPAKU(Staying at Farmers an...
- 5Remains of Hara Castle, Site of Shimabar...
- 6Festivitas Natalis (Christmas Festival) ...
- 7Hara Castle Ruins
- 8Hara Castle Revolt Festival
- 9Harajouonsen Masago
- 11Dolphin Watching (from Minami Arima)
- 12Minamishimabara Sakura Festivals
- 13Dolphin Watching (from Kuchinotsu)
- 14Kuchinotsu Museum of History and Folklor...
- 15Location of the Arrival of the Nanban Ships
- 16Remains of Hinoe Castle
- 17Hinoe Castle Ruins
- 18Minami Shimabara Olle trail course
- 19Marine Festival in Kuchinotsu
- 20Site of Martyrdom at Arima