Constructed in 1636, Dejima would later become a place where the Dutch East India Company would install a trading post, allowing the transport into Japan of both Western goods and the latest news of overseas current affairs. At the same time, Japanese goods, along with information about Japan, would be relayed to the West.
During the long period of national seclusion (1641-1859), Dejima was the only door open to the outside world and gave Nagasaki the status of Japan’s sole international trading port. Dejima played an important role in the development of culture, industry, and science in Japan by serving as a gateway to the West. Many ambitious Japanese scholars traveled to Nagasaki to study Rangaku (“Dutch learning”, i.e., Western science) including medicine, chemistry, weaponry, navigation, and astronomy.
The fan-shaped artificial island of Dejima no longer exists, lost to the repeated reclamation of the bay. Currently, Nagasaki City is engaging in plants to restore Dejima to its 19 century state. To carry out this restoration, foundation stones, stone walls and many other remains were excavated and some are exhibited inside the carefully reconstructed buildings. The buildings were constructed using traditional Edo period method and installed European furniture based on early 19th century drawings of the island and models of Dejima’s buildings that are preserved in the Netherland. Other exhibitions including the history of Dejima and Western learning and a miniature Dejima provide visitors with a sense of everyday life on Dejima.
Furthermore, visitors can slip back in time to the era of the trading post by renting a Kimono. Usually it takes half an hour to put on a Kimono, but in this Kimono shop, you can dress up in the traditional Kimono in just 3 minutes. Dressing up in a Kimono and taking pictures against a backdrop of Japan-meets-West buildings is becoming a popular activity for visitors.
- Nagasaki City
Updated March 2017
|Access information||Take the streetcar to Dejima and walk|
8:00-19:00 (on special occasions)
|Days Closed||Opens year round|
- NEARBY ATTRACTIONS
- 1Dejima (Desima, Deshima) - Site of the F...
- 3Nagasaki Kunchi / Okunchi
- 4HOTEL BELLEVIEW NAGASAKI-DEJIMA
- 5The Spirit Boat Procession / Shourounagashi
- 6Nagasaki Dejima Wharf
- 7Nagasaki Bus Terminal Hotel
- 8Nagasaki Bus Terminal Hotel
- 9CAPSULE IN KOYOKAN
- 10nagasaki shinchi terminal
- 11Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum
- 12Shinchi Chinatown
- 13Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum
- 14Nagasaki Shinchi Chinatown
- 15 Nagasaki Lantern Festival
- 16Mid-Autumn Moon Festival
- 17Hotel JALCity Nagasaki
- 18VICTORIA INN NAGASAKI
- 19Victoria Inn Nagasaki
- 20APA HOTEL Nagasaki-Ekiminami
- 21Chisun Grand Nagasaki
- 22Nagasaki Port and Nagasaki Seaside Park ...
- 23Nagasaki Tall Ships Festival
- 26HOTEL NEW TANDA
- 27Nagasaki Hotel Marine World
- 28Doragon Promenade
- 29HOTEL IKEDA
- 31NAGASAKI HOTEL MONTEREY
- 32Shianbashi & Doza
- 33Nagasaki Peiron Championship & Port Fest...
- 34NAGASAKI I.K HOTEL
- 35NAGASAKI I・K HOTEL
- 36Richmond Hotel
- 37Hotel Arc inn Tennen
- 38Megane-bashi (Spectacles Bridge)
- 39Nakashima River Summer Festival
- 40Megane-bashi (Spectacles Bridge)
- 41Maruyama Hana Festival (Maruyama Women's...
- 43HOTEL PASSAGE KINKAI
- 44DiGJAPAN App
- 45HOTEL NEW NAGASAKI
- 46HOTEL NEW NAGASAKI
- 47Nakamachi Church
- 48Confucian Shrine & Historical Museum of ...
- 49Gunkanjima Digital Museum
- 50Nagasaki Glass
- 51ANA CROWNE PLAZA NAGASAKI GLOVERHILL
- 52ANA CROWNEPLAZA NAGASAKI GLOVERHILL
- 53Nagasaki Tourist Information Center
- 54HOTEL WINGPORT NAGASAKI
- 55Nagasaki International Cruise Ship Terminal
- 56Fujiwara Ryokan
- 57HOTEL CUORE NAGASAKI EKIMAE
- 58HOTEL CUORE NAGASAKIEKIMAE
- 59Business Royal hotel
- 60Hotel Sainthill Nagasaki
- 64Fujiwara Ryokan
- 65New Year's Eve along Temple Street in Na...
- 66Santo Domingo Church Museum
- 67Oura Cathedral
- 68Ken-ei Bus Terminal
- 69Nagasaki Orion Hotel
- 70Nagasaki Hotele Ihokan
- 73Teramachi-dori (Temple Street)
- 74The Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture
- 75The Great Ghibli Exhibition - From Nausi...
- 76Glover Garden
- 77Glover Garden
- 78Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture
- 79Nagasaki Embroidery
- 80Site of the Martyrdom of the 26 Saints o...
- 81HOTEL NAGASAKI
- 82Yatarou / Yatarou Minamikan
- 83Suwa Shrine
- 84NAGASAKI NISSHOKAN
- 85Takengei (Wakamiya Inari Shrine's Autumn...
- 88The Hotel Nagasaki BW Premier Collection
- 89BEST WESTERN PREMIER hotel Nagasaki
- 90NISSHOKAN BETTEI KOUYOUTEI
- 91Mt. Nabekanmuri
- 92NISSHOKAN SHINKAN BAISHOKAKU
- 93nagasaki Hotel seifu
- 94Garden terrace Nagasaki Hotel&Resorts
- 95Garden Terrace Nagasaki Hotels & Resorts
- 96INASAYAMA KANKOHOTEL
- 97Inasayama Kanko Hotel
- 98NAGASAKI BLUESKY HOTEL
- 99Nagasaki skyhotel
- 100Shindenan Autumn Public Viewing