Constructed in 1636, Dejima would later become a place where the Dutch East India Company would install a trading post, allowing the transport into Japan of both Western goods and the latest news of overseas current affairs. At the same time, Japanese goods, along with information about Japan, would be relayed to the West.
During the long period of national seclusion (1641-1859), Dejima was the only door open to Europe and gave Nagasaki the status of Japan’s sole international trading port. Dejima played an important role in the development of culture, industry, and science in Japan by serving as a gateway to the West. Many ambitious Japanese scholars traveled to Nagasaki to study Rangaku (“Dutch learning”, i.e., Western science) including medicine, chemistry, weaponry, navigation, and astronomy.
The fan-shaped artificial island of Dejima no longer exists, lost to the repeated reclamation of the bay. Currently, Nagasaki City is engaging in plans to restore Dejima to its 19th century state. To carry out this restoration, foundation stones, stone walls and many other remains were excavated and some are exhibited inside the carefully reconstructed buildings. The buildings were constructed using traditional Edo period method and installed European furniture based on early 19th century drawings of the island and models of Dejima’s buildings that are preserved in the Netherland. Other exhibitions, including the history of Dejima and Western learning and a miniature Dejima, provide visitors with a sense of everyday life on Dejima.
Furthermore, visitors can slip back in time to the era of the trading post by renting a Kimono (men's, women's and children's available). Usually it takes half an hour to put on a Kimono, but in this Kimono shop, you can dress up in the traditional Kimono in just 3 minutes. Dressing up in a Kimono and taking pictures against a backdrop of Japan-meets-West buildings is becoming a popular activity for visitors.
- Nagasaki City
Updated March 2017
|Access information||Take the streetcar to Dejima and walk|
8:00-19:00 (on special occasions)
|Days Closed||Opens year round|
- NEARBY ATTRACTIONS
- 1Dejima (Desima, Deshima) - Site of the F...
- 3Nagasaki Kunchi / Okunchi
- 4HOTEL BELLEVIEW NAGASAKI-DEJIMA
- 5The Spirit Boat Procession / Shourounagashi
- 6Nagasaki Dejima Wharf
- 7Nagasaki Bus Terminal Hotel
- 8Nagasaki Bus Terminal Hotel
- 9CAPSULE IN KOYOKAN
- 10nagasaki shinchi terminal
- 11Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum
- 12Shinchi Chinatown
- 13Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum
- 14Nagasaki Shinchi Chinatown
- 15 Nagasaki Lantern Festival
- 16Mid-Autumn Moon Festival
- 17Hotel JALCity Nagasaki
- 18VICTORIA INN NAGASAKI
- 19Victoria Inn Nagasaki
- 20APA HOTEL Nagasaki-Ekiminami
- 21Chisun Grand Nagasaki
- 22Nagasaki Port and Nagasaki Seaside Park ...
- 23Nagasaki Port Terminal
- 24Nagasaki Tall Ships Festival
- 27HOTEL NEW TANDA
- 28Nagasaki Hotel Marine World
- 29Doragon Promenade
- 30HOTEL IKEDA
- 32NAGASAKI HOTEL MONTEREY
- 33Shianbashi & Doza
- 34Nagasaki Peiron Championship & Port Fest...
- 35NAGASAKI I.K HOTEL
- 36NAGASAKI I・K HOTEL
- 37Richmond Hotel
- 38Hotel Arc inn Tennen
- 39Megane-bashi (Spectacles Bridge)
- 40Nakashima River Summer Festival
- 41Megane-bashi (Spectacles Bridge)
- 42Maruyama Hana Festival (Maruyama Women's...
- 44HOTEL PASSAGE KINKAI
- 45DiGJAPAN App
- 46HOTEL NEW NAGASAKI
- 47HOTEL NEW NAGASAKI
- 48Nakamachi Church
- 49Confucian Shrine & Historical Museum of ...
- 50Gunkanjima Digital Museum
- 51Nagasaki Glass
- 52ANA CROWNE PLAZA NAGASAKI GLOVERHILL
- 53ANA CROWNEPLAZA NAGASAKI GLOVERHILL
- 54Nagasaki Tourist Information Center
- 55HOTEL WINGPORT NAGASAKI
- 56Nagasaki International Cruise Ship Terminal
- 57Fujiwara Ryokan
- 58HOTEL CUORE NAGASAKI EKIMAE
- 59HOTEL CUORE NAGASAKIEKIMAE
- 60Business Royal hotel
- 61Hotel Sainthill Nagasaki
- 65Fujiwara Ryokan
- 66New Year's Eve along Temple Street in Na...
- 67Santo Domingo Church Museum
- 68Oura Cathedral
- 69Ken-ei Bus Terminal
- 70Nagasaki Orion Hotel
- 71Nagasaki Hotele Ihokan
- 74Teramachi-dori (Temple Street)
- 75The Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture
- 76Glover Garden
- 77Glover Garden
- 78Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture
- 79Nagasaki Embroidery
- 80Site of the Martyrdom of the 26 Saints o...
- 81Kazagashira Park
- 82HOTEL NAGASAKI
- 83Yatarou / Yatarou Minamikan
- 84Suwa Shrine
- 85NAGASAKI NISSHOKAN
- 86Takengei (Wakamiya Inari Shrine's Autumn...
- 89The Hotel Nagasaki BW Premier Collection
- 90BEST WESTERN PREMIER hotel Nagasaki
- 91NISSHOKAN BETTEI KOUYOUTEI
- 92Mt. Nabekanmuri
- 93NISSHOKAN SHINKAN BAISHOKAKU
- 94nagasaki Hotel seifu
- 95Garden terrace Nagasaki Hotel&Resorts
- 96Garden Terrace Nagasaki Hotels & Resorts
- 97INASAYAMA KANKOHOTEL
- 98Inasayama Kanko Hotel
- 99NAGASAKI BLUESKY HOTEL
- 100Nagasaki skyhotel